Affiliations & appointments
- Fellow, Darwin College Cambridge
- Member, University of Cambridge Centre for Science and Policy (CSaP) (2015—present)
- Member, Cambridge Big Data Strategic Research Initiative (2014—present)
- Fellow, Cambridge Philosophical Society (2014—present)
- I served on the fellowship selection commitee for the Darwin College Microsoft Research Fellowships in 2018.
- I served on the awards commitee for the Cambridge Society for the Application of Research in 2017-2018.
- I served on the executive commitee of the Cambridge University LGBT campaign as Computing Officer in 2010-2011.
- I served on the executive commitee of the Cambridge University Scientific Society (SciSoc) as Director for Information Technology for two terms between 2009 and 2011.
Policy and outreach
- March 2018: I gave a talk titled 'Artificial Intelligence: let's lose the hype and think practically' at TEDx Cambridge University 2018.
- June 2017: I participated in a Cambridge mathematics workshop on the future of the national mathematics curriculum.
- May 2017: I participated in the 2017 annual CSAR debate: This house believes that Artificial Intelligence / Robotics will make us happier. I seconded the opposition, which was the winning side.
- March 2017: I gave a one-on-one policy meeting with Dr Steve Smith (Head of Science, Committee on Climate Change) to discuss the role of machine learning as part of the problem and solution to the emissions problem, low-emission innovation, and energy demands of future homes and buildings.
- February 2017: I participated in the CSaP workshop on future of mobility, a half-day panel discussion in assistance of a Foresight Project on the future of mobility being undertaken by the Government Office for Science.
- May 2016: I gave a talk titled 'When artificial stupidity takes over the world', as part of the 2016 Pint of Science festival. The talk was a friendly introduction to AI for a public audience and the venue sold out several weeks in advance.
- April 2016: I was interviewed by Cambridge TV (link to video) about the growth and challenges surrounding machine learning. We discussed the recent defeat of Lee Sedol, champion Go player, by the AlphaGo artificial intelligence, as well as issues of interpretability and accountability.
- January 2016: I gave a one-on-one policy meeting with Sophie Odenthal (at that time Advisor to the Behavioural Insights Team, currently Advisor to Her Majesty's Treasury) to discuss the use of data analytics to improve the uptake and quality of education.
Conference and journal service
- Co-chair, IEEE VL/HCC 2017
- Co-chair, IEEE VL/HCC 2016
- Program committee, CHI 2018 (late-breaking work)
- Program committee, ACM IUI 2018
- Program committee, IEEE VL/HCC 2017
- Program committee, PPIG 2016
- Session chair, IEEE VL/HCC 2016
- Session chair, PPIG 2016
- Reviewer, ACM TIIS, 2017
- Reviewer, PPIG 2017
- Reviewer, ACM CHI 2017 (papers, workshops, late-breaking work) (🏆 Excellent reviewer recognition)
- Reviewer, IEEE VL/HCC 2017
- Reviewer, ACM CHI 2016 (papers)
- Reviewer, PPIG 2016
- Reviewer, Eurographics 2016
- Reviewer, Knowledge-Based Systems, 2016
- Reviewer, British HCI 2015